My best friend Andrea is a band photographer. She's also awesome so she got me a press pass for this year's Warped Tour. Here's what I learned:
1. Ear plugs don't look lame, they look professional. After one show in the photo pit, I realized ear plugs are awesome and also will keep you from wanting to cry under the stage.
2. Running back and forth between stages is sweaty business. I kept a wet bandana around my neck under my camera strap, and it kept me moving in the heat.
3. Auto focus is your friend
4. Even if you're not in the normal kind of pit, you can still get hit in the face. Stay well behind the security guards so you don't get hit by crowd surfers.
5. Other photographers will not respect your space. Be like a dog. Mark your territory.
6. Keep moving.
7. Anticipate how the band is going to be moving. Motion makes for great photos.
8. Photography is hard, and anybody who says otherwise is a giant weiner.